Stacks Image 191
Stacks Image 4375
Stacks Image 156
About the Temple
Garrick
The Temple
Built in 1756, this striking little octagonal building and its 18th century pleasure-garden setting were restored in 1998/99 by the Garrick's Temple Partnership Project, funded in part by a Heritage Lottery grant and donations from a range of other organisations and individuals. The renowned actor-manager, David Garrick, built the Temple to celebrate the genius of William Shakespeare, commissioning the sculptor Roubiliac to provide a life-size statue of his hero to be placed inside. The recent restoration reinstates the statue in replica and also houses a display which celebrates David Garrick's acting career and his private life in Hampton.

Garrick
The Gardens
Garrick’s Lawn is the name of the garden on the Thames that surrounds Garrick’s Temple to Shakespeare. Although there is no official record to prove it, it is widely believed that Lancelot “Capability” Brown advised David Garrick on how best to lay out the grounds of Garrick’s Villa. The gardens undoubtedly emulate the style for which Capability Brown became famous, and the Garricks certainly had the means and cultural understanding to adopt the newly fashionable landscape style as the main design option for their beautifully positioned gardens. Today the gardens are managed by the Parks and Open Spaces Department of Richmond upon Thames Council and their contractors, together with a group of Temple Volunteers. The intention is to retain the 18th century characteristics of the original garden whilst making this much loved riverside park relevant, useful and valuable for the local and wider community.
Background of homepage by kind permission of Mark Goodman www.moleseylife.co.uk
'Temple in Snow and Sunshine' (above left) by Lewis Lloyd
Temple Garden (above right) by Mark Goodman

The line drawing of the temple in the website banner is a detail of the drawing "Garrick's Temple of Shakespeare & Church at Hampton 1769" by Eric Fraser. Used here with the kind permission of Geoffrey Fraser.
Stacks Image 3894
Public opening times
Temple: Sunday afternoons (14.00-17.00) from Sunday 26th March to Sunday 29th October 2017.
Garden: Daily throughout the year, 7.30am to dusk. Special group visits can be arranged at other times.

Bookings and Special visits
To book the Temple for private events or to arrange special visits, call Rupert Nichol on 07880 790763
or email
rupertnichol@hotmail.com

How to find us
The Temple is in Hampton, Middlesex, TW12 2EJ. It is situated opposite Garrick's Villa in the public gardens (Garrick's Lawn) between the A308 (Hampton Court Road) and the banks of the river Thames. To find the Temple on Google Maps, search for “Garrick Temple, London”

CAR
A308 from Kingston via Hampton Court or from M3, Junction 1. Limited parking in nearby streets.

BUSES
The following buses stop close to the Temple at bus stop “Garrick Villa”.
R68 Richmond to Hampton Court.
111 Kingston to Heathrow.
216 Kingston to Staines.

TRAINS
From Waterloo and Clapham Junction:
To Hampton Court terminus, then walk or R68 bus.
or
To Hampton (on Shepperton line - not Hampton Wick)
then walk or 111 or 216 bus to “Garrick Villa”.

TUBE
District Line to Richmond, then R68 to “Garrick Villa”.
District Line to Wimbledon, then train and bus as above.